Saturday, August 3, 2013

Manna? What is it?



Manna?

Exodus 16:14-20

New Life Version (NLV)
14 When the water had gone, there were small white pieces all over the ground of the desert. 15 When the people of Israel saw it, they said to one another, “What is it?” For they did not know what it was. Moses said to them, “It is the bread that the Lord has given you to eat. 16 This is what the Lord has told you to do: ‘Every man gather as much of it as he can eat. Take a jar for every person that each of you has in his tent.’” 17 The people did so. Some gathered much and some less. 18 When they saw how much they had, he who had gathered much had no more than what was needed. And he who had gathered less had enough. Every man gathered as much as he could eat. 19 Moses said to them “Let no one save any of it until morning.” 20 But they did not listen to Moses. Some left part of it until morning. And worms grew in it and it became bad to eat. So Moses was angry with them.
Verse 20 in the NIV says:
20 However, some of them paid no attention to Moses; they kept part of it until morning, but it was full of maggots and began to smell. So Moses was angry with them.
In this scripture we get an overlook of when the Israelites first experienced the Manna from Heaven.  They cried out to the Lord for provision while traveling through the desert…and the Lord provided.  He provided in a way that the Israelites never could have dreamed of.  You see… manna was something they have NEVER seen before.  When they woke up that morning… walked out of their tents and saw this substance covering the ground, they asked each other “what is it?” (Verse 15). Manna actually means “what is it”.   Moses answered them saying it was the bread that the Lord has given you to eat.  Think about that! Heavenly bread! It must have been amazing! 

 Do you think heavenly bread had carbs?  Personally I think it must have tasted like a donut, because that is Heavenly!  Okay, maybe that’s a discussion for another time!  They were then told that they could take as much as they needed to feed their entire family.  It was a buffet of heavenly blessing! 
Now skip down the to the last two verses.  Moses warned them not to save any until morning.  But of course there are going to be some rebels in the group… some “challengers of authority”.  The scripture states that the next morning, “the manna was full of maggots and began to smell”.  Imagine that.  Hot desert sun, maggots, and odor! I think we know why Moses was angry with them.  Okay mommas!  We can all relate!  How many times have we told that two yr old NOT to bring that sippy cup in their room or in the car? There have been many times where I KNOW she is missing a cup and I cannot find it!  Well… you know what happens next… STINK happens!  Hot car, spoiled milk, endless smell in the minivan.  And now I am driving the awesome minivan that smells like a cheese factory!  Now that we can relate to a portion of why Moses grew angry with the Israelites, let’s talk about the real reason they were not supposed to save the Manna. 
The Israelites would go on to find out that each and every morning they would wake up to this unending buffet of heavenly bread.  Do you think after day 4 or 5 they may have though to themselves “is this for real”.  The Israelites were blessed to witness so many of the Lord’s miracles.  They witnessed the Red Sea part right in front of their eyes.  They walked through the Sea on DRY ground.  But the faith of the Israelites still wavered.  The Lord wanted to teach the Israelites to rely on Him daily for their provision.  That is why each morning they would receive a completely new and fresh buffet of provision.  They could take as much as they needed for the day, but no more.  You see, you cannot store up the Lord’s provision.  It does not come from Sam’s Club or Costco! You cannot buy it in bulk!  It’s not a once a month trip to the provision club!  I know mommas… we like to store up as much as we can to save a little time.  I recently started doing some freezer cooking.  Planned a menu, shopped in bulk, cooked ALL day, and was exhausted!   But that extra effort and hard work will pay off for me throughout the week.  The Lord does not work in the same way.  We cannot go to church once a month, get what we need in bulk, and have it last us for the next 30 days.  We have ALL tried that! Me, for one, would love to buy a neverending supply of patience!  I find that my patience runs out almost every single day! That is… if I am not asking the Lord to restore it on a frequent basis.    Eventually we find ourselves face down crying out for help.  Being a mom, or a parent is a tough job.  Just when we think we’re getting the hang of it, those kiddos throw another curveball at us!  Personally out of all 4 of my children, Addy (my 3rd) has been the most challenging.  No, its not the child who was born with a heart defect and came home with a feeding tube in his stomach.  He is easy breezy most of the time.  It is Addy, my adorable blue eyed 3 year old who has given us a run for our money since day one. 
   (yep, this cute little Muffin, yes I call her Muffin)

  She is full of energy, determination, and she is 3.  Enough said.  But I wouldn’t change her for the world.  As much as she frustrates me, I completely miss her when she is away.
Needless to say, after I had 2 babies, I thought I had the hang of it.  Then baby #3 came along and changes the game again.  My point is… we NEVER have it all in control.  I learned very early into motherhood that I CANNOT do it without God.  I constantly find myself on my face crying out for help.  I believe that is the point when my patience has run out.  Everyday is a new day.  Everyday I am learning to seek the Lord and find the beauty in each moment.  When I stop and say “thank you Lord, for this gift of motherhood” I can completely feel a sense of peace come over me.  That is OUR Manna…. Peace, Love, Joy.  Find it in your everyday life. What is your Manna?
How beautiful that Manna must have been for the Isrealites!

No comments:

Post a Comment