Anyone who knows me can agree to this statement.
I hate waking up. I am NO GOOD without sleep. So if I have had a rough night with the boys, or just couldn't sleep in general....watch out world.
I woke up this morning, tired. I woke up my tired children for day camp. In seconds, my 8 yr old old was dressed, eating his bowl of cereal, and parading around the house shouting "Ocean, O-C-E-A-N, Ocean, yeahhhhh baby, Let's Go" . I look over at my 10 yr old. She looks like me. Miserable. She's a pre-teen now. PRE-TEEN. Someone tell me, is Pre-Teen or Actual Teen worse? So she is sitting in the bathroom, about to cry because she can't get her hair just right. Mad because I'm making her wear a sports bra now. And double mad because I told her that her shorts were too short. One day she will read this and be extra mad at me.
You see.... my two very different children woke up at the same time, but with VERY different attitudes. They are going to the same place. My 8 yr old wakes up, rolls over, and immediately remembers the excitement that today holds. It's Triangulation Day at Winshape Camp. He doesn't even know what that means but he is stoked about it! He dresses in his team colors, eats as fast as he can, brushes his teeth and hair, and is ready to go in less than 10 minutes. He is still chanting around the house in total Camp beast mode. This boy has it together! I want to wake up like him! He wakes up like a warrior.
Pre-teen, 10 yr old girl. Different story. The same story as a 30 yr old mom of 5. Morning comes, the alarm rings and you want to cover your face and close your eyes. Sleep is good. Wake up bad. But it's not the truth. As much as I know I am like her, I spend most of the morning putting on a happy face, trying to prove to her that it's going to be a good day. At her age, everything feels like the end of the world. That is exhausting. Her shoes gave her a blister on the first day of camp. This means the rest of the week is going to be horrible in her eyes. She can't seem to get her hair to sit just right. Horrible day. Mom said you spent 30 minutes on your hair so you have no time to eat breakfast. She's dying now. But once she processed the reality of everything and got herself in the car, put a band-aid on her blister, and ate breakfast on the way there, she came to the realization of where she was going today. Camp! We pulled up and the counselors were doing team face paintings because after all.... it's Triangulation Day! She was stoked!
We still have no idea what Triangulation Day is. I look forward to finding out when they come home.
I learn so much from my children. As the adult you think it's supposed to be the other way around. But the truth is, I can learn just as much from them as they learn from me. Thank you Landon for being a morning warrior and helping me remember that this day was made for me. Thank you Bayleigh for helping me realize some important truths. I need to open my eyes and remember God's word. "This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it" Psalm 118:24. When I don't remember this truth, the morning WILL LIE to me. It will tell me today is going to be horrible. It will tell me I am not good enough. I will wake up, tired and grumpy regardless of how I slept. That's me. I was grumpy this morning. I wanted to crawl back into bed and forget about starting this day. But by the time I got home from dropping my kids off, I was ready. Inspired and excited for the day. Each day is a gift. I will not dread what happened yesterday, or what might happen today. I went home excited to hug my little ones. The morning will not Lie to me anymore.
~Inspiration for the Morning~
Psalms 46:5
God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns. (Read all of Psalms 46 for more awesomeness)
Lamentations 3: 22-24
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."
Psalms 30:5
For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for a lifetime; Weeping may last for the night, But a shout of joy comes in the morning.
Psalms 5:3
In the morning, O LORD, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch.
Psalms 59:16
But as for me, I shall sing of Your strength; Yes, I shall joyfully sing of Your lovingkindness in the morning, For You have been my stronghold And a refuge in the day of my distress.
Psalms 118:24 “This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it”


No comments:
Post a Comment